Walgreens Infusion Services (WIS) was a business division within retail pharmacy chain Walgreen Co., a corporate parent with annual revenue in excess of $100 billion.
When Walgreen Co. (now Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc.: WBA [NASDAQ]) sold a majority stake in its home infusion division to a private equity firm, it also turned over all communications responsibility to the new, yet-to-be-named company.
An entire brand had to be launched. And fast.
As the external public relations support to WIS, PCI quickly stepped up, leading internal and external communications to launch the renamed and rebranded home infusion company.
Sharing the Story
PCI carried out an ambitious sequence of communications to share the new company story with nearly 5,000 employees nationwide (“tell the family first”), customers and the public, including:
Internal communications to equip 90+ branch managers with PCI-developed resources to announce the brand change among local teams and customers, providing:
- Messaging materials: call scripts, FAQs, talking points, flyers, announcement letters
- Promotional materials featuring the new name and logo: t-shirts, pens, buttons, banners
- Templated local event ideas to generate excitement
- Regional teleconferences with managers to talk through the messaging and materials
Website development to rebrand the company’s online presence with a site that went live in conjunction with the media announcement
External communications to publicize the new company with:
- Development of media materials housed within an online newsroom
- Advance one-to-one media outreach to share an embargoed news release
- Facilitation of a media teleconference, including scripting of remarks, to announce the new company
As access to care has increased, payers are looking aggressively at the right site of care for patients who require infusion therapy…Option Care is one of the leading companies in the infusion therapy industry with about 10 percent market share.
— Chicago Tribune, May 19, 2015
Winning Numbers and Perceptions
Here’s the result that mattered most:
In less than four months, PCI helped launch a new company to the world.
We secured teleconference participation from 11 Chicago and national media journalists, generating 35 original news stories with a combined audience of nearly 26 million. Through widespread media coverage, we generated awareness among critical healthcare and business audiences, helping position the new company to take flight.
The evolution continues
PCI continues to support Option Care in gaining recognition for its industry leadership in transforming home infusion with unmatched investment in clinical programs, technology systems and processes.